Sunday, May 20, 2012

Last day...

Today is our last day...aka the worst day ever.  I woke up around 10:30 and got my last cold shower in Hotel America.  I thought I would never miss those, but I would take a cold shower in Hotel America any day if I could stay in Chile.  Next, I went downstairs to get a biscuit for breakfast and sure enough, Jorge was eating by himself so we had a nice little breakfast together!  It was really awesome because I got to learn about all the places he has traveled to and recieve his input where I should go.  I also got to hear about the Amazon program for next year that I am really interested in!  After breakfast, I realized it was 10:50 and I hadn't started to pack and needed to be all packed up by 12...tradition for me to procrastinate.  I tore everything out of my suitcase and refolded everything.  It smelled so bad!  I stuffed as much stuff as I could into my large suitcase because I knew it would be overweight anyways.  I put all my gifts and glass mugs in my carry on.  Out of my surprise, I was all packed and ready to go at 12!  Our entire group met downstairs and we set out to have our last lunch all together.  We ended up eating at Tiki Taco, the restaurant we had our first lunch in!  It was a great reunion!  Carly and I split fajitas again and they were amazing!  We also got my favorite salsa, salsa verde, which made my day.  I really am going to miss the amazing Chilean food...especially salsa verde and empanadas :(  We finished lunch at 2 and loaded our suitcases onto the bus.  The bus ride from our hotel to the airport was really depressing.  Carly and I cried.  It didn't help that I was also listening to my "depressed" playlist on my iPod.  The past 2 weeks in Chile just have really been the best two weeks of my life; I really am going to miss it.  I know I can always go back and I would absolutely love to, but it will never be with the same group of people.  Once we got to the airport, we had to check our bags and wait to get on the plane.  I was really overly friendly to the woman checking my bag and surprisingly she didn't charge me for my suitcase being overweight...yay parents will be proud!  We boarded the plane and I was all the way to the back.  The ride was 10 hours and I barely slept.  It was the worst plane ride of my life.  My chair didn't recline, I had no leg room, and I was so sore from horse back riding I could not get comfortable.  We got into Texas around 5:30, but had to recheck our bags so we barely had any time to do anything.  We boarded our next plane and this one was a little better.  I actually sat next to a guy doing research at Pitt all summer!  I slept for a little bit on this plane, but again, not much.  Once we got to Pittsburgh, I said my goodbyes because most people were going home from there.  Stefan, Caryn, and I had another flight to Philly at 3 pm as if 2 flights wasn't enough.  It was really sad saying goodbye.  It hit me right then that I wouldn't be waking up and hanging with my friends everyday.  After everyone left, we went to lunch and I got an espresso so I could be happy and awake when my dad showed up at the airport.  To my surprise, my dad and brother came to get me and it was really nice to see them.  After three plane rides I was ready to get home, but extremely sad to have left Chile :(( 
Plus 3 2012 group with Chilean students!

Footprints on the beach..bye Chile :(

No comments:

Post a Comment